A chronological historical table of the main changes and/or additions to the fabric, fixed furnishings and churchyard from the 12th Century to the present time.
1190 Traditional date of foundation. Construction cruciform shape. N.
Transept said to be smallest in England and, unusually, smaller
than S. Transept. Entrance to Chancel on S. side likely. Present
chancel arch probably original. Present tower arch was the
original entrance to the Nave. Original stone font (now in N.
Transept) inside church door.
First extension to Chancel.
Double piscina added to S. wall of new extension (one converted
to a sedile in 16th century).
Second extension to Chancel.
Single piscina added to S. wall of new extension as well as Easter
E. window arch added (reset 19th century).
Square window S. side of Chancel added (lighting altar).
c 1370 Wall paintings executed.
Tower added at W. end. Unusual saddleback roof with transverse
ridge line. The only other examples are at Holsworthy, Devon;
Syonby, Leics.; and Alvediston, Wilts.
N. window in N. Transept (cinquefoil) and S. window in S.
Chancel roof rebuilt.
Top of tower rebuilt.
One of the two 13th century piscinas converted to a sedile.
1539 Dissolution of St. Albans Abbey, mother house to Holy Cross.
Three Bells in Tower.
1606, or just after, pulpit added at centre of S. side of Nave.
1606 oldest extant Bell hung (4th Bell).
1638 two other bells in tower.
1719 Bell hung (Tenor Bell).
1815 Galleries built by private contributions on either side of tower arch.
1818 Large vestry added S. of Chancel (replaced with smaller Vestry at
the restoration 1864/6).
1856 Churchyard extended and cottage on site of present lych gate pulled
down, the flint and bricks used to build wall now fronting churchyard.
1866 Major restoration and remodelling under architect Sir Gilbert Scott,
Galleries and box pews removed.
Ceilings removed from Nave, Chancel and Transepts.
Pulpit moved to present position from S. side of Nave, pedestal
cut down by 3 / 4 ft.
N. & S. Aisles added (now housing Organ and Baptistry,
Chancel floor raised, south entrance blocked.
Addition of - Font on original plinth; Porch; Vestry; Altar
designed by Gilbert Scott; Reading Desk; Pews; Plain glass
window S. side of Chancel (now Resurrection - see 1988 below).
Stained glass added to E. window of Chancel (Crucifixion &
The N. Wall of the Nave, or large portion of N. Transept, fell
during the work.
1865 Bell hung (3rd Bell).
1865 First Organ installed (Hill & Sons).
1886 Grundy’s Patent Heating Apparatus installed.
1900 Churchyard further enlarged.
1904 Stained glass added to S. window of S. Transept (St. Helens and St.
1913 Oak bell frame replaced with steel, Bells rehung.
1913 Stained glass added to W. window in Tower (Bringing Children to
1914 Coal cellar installed.
1916 Stained glass added to W. window of S. Aisle (Holy Families).
1920 Lych gate built from oak of old bell frames.
1921 Stained glass added to S. window of S. Aisle ( St. Cecilia).
1923 Stained glass added to E. window of N. Transept (Charity).
1926 Reredos panelling behind altar installed.
1931 New chimney built and churchyard further enlarged.
1935 Electric light installed and decayed sapwood removed from roof
1937 Central heating installed (solid fuel).
1956 Organ installed (Leighton).
1959 Two new Bells hung (2nd Bell and Treble Bell).
1966 - Restoration Work:
1973 E. Wall of Chancel rebuilt, repairs and repointing.
1971 Churchyard further enlarged.
1973 Oil fired central heating installed.
1982-1983 Further restoration work, stone repairs, treatment of rising damp and
1987 Reading Desk removed.
1988 Stained glass added to S. window in S. wall of Chancel
1992 The Friends Charitable Trust formed.
1998 Stained glass window added to N. Window of N. Transept
(Vision of the Cross).
2000 Roof renewed
The material for this table was collated from many sources – old church leaflets and records held in the parish , with a few later additions - for the book `Historical Aspects of a Parish and its Church" edited by Doris Rollinson and published in 1990 for the very succesful 800th anniversery celebrations of the buiding. Research for the article was by Doris Rollinson, John Guy and Graham Peiser.
You will find that many of the items are discussed in more detail in other sections of the book, or brought into relation with one another, and this applies particularly to the 19th Century and Rev. Edward Riley’s 1902 account of the restoration of the church in 1864/6 - click on the "History" button above and then on "The Building - a History Paper".
The table will be useful for those interested in the chronology of the building, although it lacks the colour of an account of other furnishings. The inventory of 1552 on pages 18/20 of the book will further catch the imagination of the church interior then.
Today, the beauty of our village church is visible to all, the latest additions being two new windows, the pews furnished with tapestry kneelers and the reroofing.